Home Work Assignment
Thomas W. Jones, Mastering Genealogical Proof (Arlington, Virginia) : National Genealogical Society, (2013), 6. Book available from Publisher at: www.ngsgenealogy.org
Name: Pat O'Donnell Kuhn
1. Citations are important because they document the research that has been done and support the the findings in the proof argument. In this way they are a road map for the reader to see how you came to your conclusions.
2. a. Willis M. Kemper, Genealogy of the Kemper Family, 1899, Chicago: Geo. K. Hazlitt, page 79
b. Ann Brunner Eales and Robert M. Kvasnicka, 2000, Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives of the United States, Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, page 23.
c. Donn Devine, September 2007, The Common Law of England, NGS Quarterly 95, page 165-78 at 168.
d. no author noted, 18 March 1948, Rites Held on Sunday for Mrs. Emma McLain, Long-time Local Resident, Newaygo Republican, Newaygo, Mich., page 1, col. 4.
e. Robert Allen DeVowe, comp., Ancestry World Tree Project: Newaygo County, Ancestry.com
f. Denise Crawford, 2000, Descendants of Aaron McClain and Elizabeth\Anna(--),Pedigree Resource File, CD-ROM 18, Salt Lake City: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
3. a. Kemper, Genealogy of Kemper Family, page 79.
b. Eales and Kvasnicka, Guide to Genalogical Research, page 23.
c. Devine, Common Law of England, page 168.
d. Rites for Emma McLain, page 1, col. 4.
e. DeVowe, Ancestry tree project.
f. Crawford, Descendants, CD-ROM 18
4. a. Willis M. Kemper, Genealogy of the Kemper Family: Descendants of John Kemper of Virginia( Chicago: Geo. K. Hazlitt, 1899)
b. Anne Brunner Eales and Robert M. Kvasnicka, Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives of the United States(Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2000.
c. Donn Devine, "The Common Law of England," in NGS Quarterly 95 (September 2007): 165-78, at 168.
d. "Rites Held on Sunday for Mrs. Emma McLain, Long-time Local Resident," Newaygo Republican, Newaygo, Mich., 18 March 1948, page 1, col. 4.
e. Robert Allen DeVowe, comp., "Ancestry World Tree Project: Newaygo County," Ancestry. com(http://awt.ancestry.com).
f. Denise Crawford, "Descendants of Aaron McClain and Elizabeth\Anna(--)," Pedigree Resource File, CD-ROM 18(Salt Lake City:Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2000)
5. a. Kentucky Tax Assessor, Tax Books, Clark Co., 1973-1797, 1799-1809, 1795,6:25; and 1796, 2:21, Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort.
b. Fauquier County, Minute Book, 1781-84, page 192, Warrenton, VA County Court.
c. Fairfax County, Record of Surveys, page 154, Fairfax, VA Circuit Court Archives.
d. not given, Legislative Petitions, Virginia General Assembly, Stafford County, 1776-1827, Petition of October 1776, record group 78, box 238, folder1, accession 36121; Library of Virginia legislative petitions.
e. Muskegon Co., Mich., Record of Marriages 2, 19 August 1871, page 36, no. 531, McLain-Tucker, County Clerk, Muskegon, Mich.
f. Allegan Co., Mich., Circuit Court File 1355, Ida M. McLain v. Charles D. McLain, 1879, 22 August 1879, Mrs. Calista J. Tucker testimony, Circuit Court, Allegan, Mich.
6. a. Kentucky tax Assessor, Tax Books, Clark Co., 1795, 6:25; and 1795, 2:21.
b. Fauquier Co., Minute Book, 1781-84, p. 192.
c. Fairfax Co., Record of Surveys, p. 154.
d. Legislative Petitions, Stafford Co., petition of 15 October 1776.
e. Muskegon Co., Record of Marriages 2:36.
f. Allegan Co., Circuit Court File 1355, Calista J. Tucker testimony.
7. a. Kentucky Tax Assessor, Tax Books, Clark Co. Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort, Ky.
b. Virginia, Fauquier Co. Minute Book, 1781-84, County Court, Warrenton.
c. Virginia, Fairfax Co. Recordd of Surveys, Circuit Court Archives, Fairfax.
d. Legislative Petitions, Virginia Assembly, Stafford Co. Record group 78, Library of Virginia, Richmond.
e. Michigan, Muskegon Co. Record of Marriages, County Clerk, Muskegon.
f. Allegan Co. Circuit Court files, Circuit Court, Allegan.
8. Thomas W. Jones, Mastering Genealogical Proof (Arlington, Va.: National Genealogical Society, 2013), p. 35.
9. Ronald A. Hill, "The Maternal Ancestry of Elizabeth Bray, Wife of William Hill of St. Kew in Cornwall," National Genealogical Society Quarterly 101 (June 2013)
10. Created by: D. R. Buck, "George Moore Davis Tucker" memorial #40735875, Find A Grave (http://fwww.findagrave.com/index.html: viewed 26 Jul 2013.
11. "The Genealogical Proof Standard," Board for Certification of Genealogists (http://www.bcgcertification.org/resources/standard.html : viewed 26 Jul 2013).
12. a1. Board for Certification of Genealogists, The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual, 2000, Orem, Utah:Ancestry, pages 1-2.
a2. not applicable, Google Books, 1 August 2012, http://books.google.com/books?id=I0EgVqgKp6oC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
b1. VanBuren Co., Mich, Return of Births in the County of VanBuren for the Year Ending December 31st, A.D. 1876, 4 February 1876, Department of Vital Records; Lansing, p. 256, no. 890, Carl McLain.
b2. not needed, "Michigan Births, 1867-1902," Family Search, 1 August 2012, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12877-145173-47?cc=1459684.
c1. not applicable, "List of all Passengers in Vessels from Foreign Ports Which Have Arrived at the Port of New Orleans During the Third Quarter of the Year 1832-and the Number that have died on the passage," in Quarterly Abstracts of Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, 1820-1875, microfilm publication M272,17 rolls, 1969, Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Service, roll 1, chronologically arranged, for "Brig Wm Osborne," 3 July 1832, Merdet entries
c2. not applicable, "New Orleans, Passenger List Quarterly Abstracts, 1820-1875," Ancestry.com, 1 August 2012, http://www.ancestry.com, search for "G Merdet."
13. Georgia Bureau of Vital Statistics, Standard Certificate of Death, no 16678, John Thomas Wright, May 18, 1923; Georgia Department of Archives and History, Morrow; digital image, "Historical Recordd Collections," Family Search (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-566-11216-4918-97?cc=1320969 : viewed 26 July 2013), for "Georgia Deaths 1914-1927," digital folder 004178242, image 230.
14. Aroostook Co., Maine, Southern Registry, Deed Book 51:98, Jewell to Mansur, 22 January 1875; County Clerk, Holton, Maine;digital image, "HIstorical Record Collections," Family Search (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-21742-22837-88?cc=1447693&wc=12205332 : viewed 26 July 2013), for "Maine, Aroostook County Deed Books, 1865-1900," Southern Registry, vol. 51, image 101.
15. "Boyhood of Edison: Something About the Youth of the Great Inventor." Quincy Daily Herald, Quincy, Ill., 24 Aug 1893, p 6, cols. 2-4; digital image, "Quincy Historic Newspaper Archive," Quincy Public Library (http://archive.quincylibrary.org/Default/Skins/QPL/Client.asp?Skin=Qpl&%20AppName=2&AW=1374890326614&AppName=2 : viewed 26 July 2013), advanced search for "Edison" in the Quincy Daily Herald.